Unit 16 Subject Verb Agreement Answers: Mastering Grammatical Consistency
As a copy editor, I cannot emphasize enough the significance of grammatical consistency in writing. One of the key elements of achieving consistency is mastering subject-verb agreement. This is the proper matching of the subject and verb of a sentence in terms of their number and tense. To test your understanding of this grammatical principle, let`s take a look at the Unit 16 Subject Verb Agreement Answers below.
1. The group of tourists was visiting the historical site.
Explanation: Even though the word “tourists” is plural, the subject in this sentence is the singular “group,” so the verb “was” should be used instead of “were.”
2. Every one of the students has read the assigned article.
Explanation: “Every one” is a singular subject, so it requires the singular verb “has.”
3. Neither the teacher nor the students were able to answer the difficult question.
Explanation: In this sentence, two subjects are connected by “nor,” which means that the verb should agree with the noun closest to it. Since “students” is plural, “were” should be used instead of “was.”
4. The books that are on the shelf belong to the library.
Explanation: “Books” is a plural subject, so the plural verb “are” is used in this sentence.
5. One of the cats is sleeping on the couch.
Explanation: “One” is a singular subject, so “is” is the correct verb form to use.
6. My sister, as well as her friends, is planning to attend the concert.
Explanation: “My sister” is the subject, and it is singular, so “is” is the correct verb form even though there are other people mentioned in the sentence.
7. The dog and the cat are playing in the yard.
Explanation: Two subjects are connected with “and,” which makes the sentence plural, so the plural verb “are” is used.
8. The committee has decided to postpone the meeting until next week.
Explanation: “Committee” is a singular noun, so the singular verb “has” is the proper form to use.
9. The group of singers, who have been practicing for weeks, is ready to perform tonight.
Explanation: In this sentence, the group is the singular subject, while the relative pronoun “who” refers to the plural “singers.” However, since the group is the main subject in the sentence, the singular verb “is” is used.
10. All of the cookies baked by my mother were eaten by my brother.
Explanation: “Cookies” is a plural subject, and the verb “were” is used to match it.
Mastering subject-verb agreement may seem like a daunting task, but it is an essential aspect of clear and professional writing. Knowing the Unit 16 Subject Verb Agreement Answers will allow you to identify errors in your writing and effectively communicate your ideas to your readers. Be sure to keep practicing and review these principles regularly to enhance your writing skills.